Re: Timing gears..get the calibers

To: <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Subject: Re: Timing gears..get the calibers
From: "Dave Stoll" <dgstoll@gwi.net>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 22:46:58 -0400
Were you measuring the thickness across the hub or just the teeth?

Can you measure the diameter of the rollers on the chain?

The next step would be to measure the width and depth of the keyway.

The other question is how much clearance is there between the chain and
cover.

My Martin and Browing books do not list a 40 tooth so one possiblity is a
42/21
combinationn if there was clearance for added diameter of chain over
sprocket.
The od of the 20t is listed as 2.59" and the od of a 21t is 2.70 so the 21t
will need
approx. 1/16" additional clearance.

The max recommened bore for a 20t is 1 5/16"
By going with a less than standard key depth, the bore could be pushed to
1.375"
A 21t would have not problems with a 1.375 bore and standard kw

What is the means of holding the crank sprocket in place on the shaft?  Are
there
set screws anywhere in the sprocket or are spacers used to maintain
alignment or does
it float on the shaft?

Martin minimum bore sprockets can be ordered bored to size for a very
reasonable price.

How big is the hole in the middle of the cam sprocket?  The standard Martin
24t sprockets come with a 1/2" hole.

Any other mechanical engs or machine designers care to check into this and
comment?
Using off the shelf #35 chain and sprockets is getting to look very good.

daveS