Re:

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:
From: Marc Sayer <marc@gracieland.org>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 13:03:47 -0700
RWM wrote:
 > Adam's correct.  The hub is recessed.  Well, mine are.
 >
 > - Bob Mann
 >
 > Adam Bradley wrote:
 >
 >>This answer doesn't quite make sense to me.  IIRC, the drum fits fairly
 >>tightly on the studs, then even tighter over the shoes.  The hub never
 >>protrudes through the drum to center it.  However, with the larger 12mm
 >>studs, the stud holes are probably larger on a 240z drum.
 >>
 >>What is the advantage to running 240z drums?  Could you use 510 drums,
 >>since they use essentially the same shoes?
 >>
 >>At 02:48 PM 5/28/2002 -0400, Peter Long wrote:
 >>
 >>>Marc sent me this response to my question - I had not thought of this.
 >>>
 >>> Has anyone done the appropriate machining of a 240Z drum hub opening,
 >>>to make it work on a roadster?  Any recollection of just how much bigger
 >>>the hole needs to be?
 >>>
 >>>Thanks again
 >>>
 >>>Pete Long
 >>>

 >>>--------------------------
 >>>
 >>>The center hole in the Z drums is much smaller than the Roadster drums.
 >>>While I've never acutally tried a set of Z drums on a Roadster, I doubt
 >>>the center hole will fit over the hub. I also belive that both car's
 >>>drums are what's known as hub-centric, that is the center hole fits
 >>>tightly over the hub to center the drum properly. That means to used a
 >>>drum you would have to have the center hole remachined to fit the
 >>>Roadster hub exactly. It would need to be precise and acurate machining
 >>>and not just sloppy clearancing work.

Well as I said I haven't actually tried using Z drums on a Roadster, I
was just pointing at an area to be concerned about. I thought I
remembered the Roadsters also being hub-centric. I know the Roadster
drums will not work on a Z or 510 because the center hole is too large.
This lead me to consider that the reverse might also be true. If the
studs center the Roadster drum, and the hub does not protrude out from
the mounting surface at all, then the Z drums might well work as far as
that goes. Then you have to look at stud size, because if the hub
doesn't center the drum, the studs do. Hub-centric is a much better
method of centering the drum, and I am surprised Datsun didn't use it on
the Roadsters.

Z and Roadster drums are both aluminum clad, while the 510 drum is all
iron. Both the Z and 510 are hub-centric and have the same smaller
center hole size compared to the Roadster.

--
Marc Sayer
82 280ZX Turbo