RE: PolyDyn PD-14

To: "'Bspark47@aol.com'" <Bspark47@aol.com>, 9laser3@bright.net,
Subject: RE: PolyDyn PD-14
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@MSFC.NASA.GOV>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:07:36 -0500
Ok - I will bit on this one.  PTFE (Teflon) in oil is a no-no.  It plugs
filters (why the FAA has ban it) and under high pressure and heat (cam
lobes) it sublimes to a fluorine that is abrasive.  Also, PTFE can not
physically penetrate metal.

Using a dry film lubricant on other engine parts - ok on some parts.  I
worked with Chrysler on their NASCAR motors as they started back into
NASCAR.  They were looking for a dry film lubricant for the piston skirts.
They were having wear problems.  A DFL was selected - would not tell me
which one - I think it was Teflon based -most candidate DFLs were.  I have
tested many PTFE DFL's and they do not meet the requirements for space use.
As a side - In 2000, Nissan started putting DFL on the piston skirts of the
VG motors.

So, putting a DFL on the skirts does help.  Putting a PTFE DFL on cam lobes
and lifters will only last minutes.  Combustion chambers -seconds.  Timing
gears - mmm for a while.

I work with DFLs everyday and have given their use in motors and other auto
applications some thought.  The next time I build a motor I will most likely
put some DFL on the piston skirts.  I need to run wear tests with DFLs in
motor oil to check compatibility with the binder system and insure a good
wear life.

I think the best think you can do for your Roadster motor is run a synthetic
motor oil.  Stay away from snake oils- none improve wear life.  Watch out
for vendor clams.  We have lost satellites because of engineers believing
faults clams and not putting the product through the right tests.

Have a great Roadster day!!  and watch your wallet:)

Phil
SEROC