Solex working better

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solex working better
From: "John F" <jfried@lvcm.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:49:04 -0700
After driving for a few years with a Solex setup that ran fine with foot to
the floor, but always with a bit of hesitation when first accelerating from
less than 3000 RPM, I dug out the Solex / Mikuni manual.  Pulled the carbs
off the car, and started looking.\

I found that the manual says there should be 7.5 mm (.295") of travel of the
accelerator pump rod.  The rod is threaded, and has 3 holes at the bottom to
put the little cotter pin through.  The measurement of mine was about .18".
By screwing in the rod and using the bottom hole, I was able to get the
recommended travel.  Left it just short of .295 to see if that would be too
much.

After putting it back together, it is like a new car.  I can now accelerate
smoothly at any speed, and it seems quicker than it was - almost no
hesitation now.  Notice I said 'almost'.  I adjusted to more like .28", so
maybe 3 more years from now I'll remove them again and do the full
recommended .295".

I'm now much more happy with the Solex conversion (B cam as well) done years
ago.

-John F
'69 2000 Solex