SEROC/other news

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: SEROC/other news
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@MSFC.NASA.GOV>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:49:55 -0500
Hey all -

Times be a changing and time for me to pass on the big pay check I got from
SEROC as president.  Elections are long over and proud to announce Brad
Holmes is now rolling in the big bucks:)

Brad has been the Membership Dude for over a year and is responsible for the
wonderful growth of SEROC - over 100 members - I think.  Brad will do a
great job and all welcome him.

The next SEROC event is RA and we are gearing up!   If you want a famous
Tire Burger you better get to the race track.  We are hoping Tom Phelan will
have his race car done.  Looking at pictures, this Roadster is a work of
art!!   And SEROCs first VG30 Roadster - GO Lenny!

Church/home/work life has been very busy - very busy indeed.  I have not
worked on the custom in months.  My honey-do list is longer then Santa
Claus' Christmas list.  By the end of September I hope to be back on the
custom - really do miss it!

As you know the trip to Idaho to get my son (Nick) a Z car did not work out.
But, we found a 74 260Z here in town that is in very good condition.  No
rust  and the frame sections are perfect.  It has a new rear end, clutch,
wheels, and fairly new paint.  The motor/trans/suspension are tired but very
rebuildable.  Nick bought it for $1400.00.  He is as happy as a clam.  I
have to drag him in at night to get cleaned up and in bed.  Real glad to see
his enthusiasm.

Speaking of work.  Being a Tribologist, I test motor oils on the side.
Well, I am testing a product line called Royal Purple.  The results of the
motor oil tests are showing it has higher extreme pressure wear properties
then Mobil 1.  Very surprised and even ran the test twice to be sure.  I
will try it in the truck next and keep track of the degradation rate.  Hey,
got my first patent (co-author) on a corrosion inhibitor for aluminum.  It
is now being used on the thrust vector control (TVC) frames on the solid
rocket booster.  I am going to work on the same type of system for common
steels.  Just thinking of a Roadster frame:)

I am still having a lot of fun with the Mazda Protege 5.  This car is a
hoot!!  It goes around corners at incredible speeds - especially those 270
degree freeway ramps.   It reminds me of my '66 so much so that I keep
trying to put the key in to the left of the steering wheel - maybe it is the
color - yea red, but a very nice red.

Enough rambling on - lunch is over.  You all have a great day!!

Phil
SEROC