69 2000 getting lucky

To: "datsun list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 69 2000 getting lucky
From: "Chas Willis 1969 2000" <fairlady@putermail.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 18:47:42 -0400
Just an update and a thanks, concerning SRL311-12584
I took apart both of my alternators and built one that would work, changed the
oil, cleaned the plugs and points and started the lady up. FIRST TRY!!!!
Damn she's loud, broken front pipe right at the header.
Seems that they didn't make flex pipe when this exhaust system was last worked
on, bummer. But they do now.
It only took the local Monroe muffler and brake two days and two tries to make
the front and middle pipes (with a flex right after the flange) that I
requested. The first attempt they used 2" pipe even though I gave them the
original pipes, duh but at least they only charged me once 8 ^ )
She's still a bit loud since I didn't do the Muffler or the resonator (what
the hell is a resonator?) But at least she doesn't wake the neighbors in SoCal
(I live in Philly)

I actually drove her around the block, went fine. Didn't stop too well though.
Pulled off the front wheels. All was well in disc-ville.
Pulled the right rear drum, all looked OK. Was showing my ten year old how to
do all of this and had him pull the left tire , told him to try and pull the
drum ( it had taken me about ten minutes to wiggle the right side off) and I'm
sure that you can understand how proud I was when he just pulled the drum
right off, UNTIL I noticed that there were NO Shoes inside the drum. None Nada
Nothing.
I', thinking grate the PO must have crimped the line because the slave
cylinder hadn't blown itself apart.
I checked the line and could find no crimping, finally I decided to just open
the bleeder and see if there was fluid
getting to the slave, there IS.

Now I'm confused, shouldn't the slave just blow itself apart with no
resistance from the shoes?
But @ 50 bucks for a wheel cylinder, I guess I''[ just order new shoes and
cylinders and cross my fingers.

All in all today was one great day, now if I can just get the front fenders
that I'm looking for, there will be another 69 2000 risen from the grave and
heading for the body shop!
Thanks to all who shared info about the alternator swap.
Chas.