Pulsating Brake Pedal

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pulsating Brake Pedal
From: RWM <RWM@rwmann.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 09:24:04 -0400
Had an odd occurrence of dragging then pulsating rear brakes last night.
Haven't yet had a chance to pull things apart.  Wondering if the description
of symptoms rings a bell with anyone.

Just cruising along 35-40 mph in traffic, went for a 3-2 shift and as I
clutched, noticed the rear brakes (initially thought it was right rear) were
clearly dragging.  I pulled over had a bit of a pulsating pedal, checked the
parking brake was off (it was off), pumped the brakes (solid pedal), pulled
back into traffic and motored off.  Half-mile later, as I slowed for a
light, I got a severe pulsating brake pedal, and what seemed like a jacking
motion from the rear.  Really odd.

Nursed it home, during which I clearly smelled burning rubber and another
unfamiliar smell, put it away and did a few obvious checks.  No fluids
missing at the brake master reservoirs, no fluids evident on the wheels or
under the car.  Hubs and wheels were not unusually warm.  Nothing dangling
under the car.

I'm going to pull the rear wheels and drums, of course, but anything else I
should consider?  U-joints perhaps?

Thanks in advance for the remote diagnosis.

- Bob Mann, '69 2000 Solex, suddenly under the weather...
--
- R.W. Mann & Company, Inc.   >>  Airline Industry Analysis
  Port Washington, NY  11050  >>  tel 516-944-0900, fax -7280