who's who

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: who's who
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@MSFC.NASA.GOV>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:15:51 -0500
Phil Hall here..

Started life in Idaho.  Dad was a veterinarian.  Mom an electrical engineer.
Dad was a cowboy type and hated cars but, Mom liked them.  I took after my
Mom and my grandfather on Dad's side that was an inventor.  His inventions
got Dad through Vet school and afforded them a nice life during the
Depression.

Bought my first Roadster (a black '68 1600) 2 weeks after my 15th birthday
with money I made farming.  Made 1000 bucks - 900 for the Roadster -
insurance - gas and drove home with 5 bucks in my pocket and with my first
Roadster grin (still got it).  Started working for Kim Blough at (now) Idaho
Z for nothing.  He was/is a great mentor!  Previous Roadster projects
include a turbo 1600 with 5 speed.  Boy, that was a hoot!

I am now driving a '66 1600 in red.  Bought it from my cousin in Idaho and
had it shipped to Alabama - my home for the last 14 years.  Jay Williams in
Nashville and myself started SEROC 3 years ago and now is over 100 members.
Brad Holmes in now steering SEROC and doing a great job.  Other hobbies
include wooden boats, wood working, construction, .. anything "hands on",
even like to sew.

I am happily married to my wonderful wife Rhonda.  We have a 4 year old girl
(Malori) with red hair and attitude to match!  Malori likes Hot Wheels as
much as Barbies.  I have her scheduled to be the first female driver to win
the Indy 500.   I also have a 15 year old boy (Nick) from a previous
marriage.  He just bought a '74 260Z and yep, I can see the grin:)  I have
to get him out from under the hood late at night to get him to bed.

I work as a Tribologist at NASA/Marshall Space Flight Center.  Tribology is
the study of friction and wear.  I specialize in solid film lubricants,
oils, and greases for space use.  I work many projects including Shuttle,
Space Station, new space craft,  many satellites, ground support....  NASA
in a lot of ways is a Gov job, but with a twist.  We get to do a lot of fun
stuff.  Due to lack of technicians and need to build new test rigs, I have
become a pretty good machinist.

Future Roadstering includes building a 67.5 custom with a 3.8 Buick Grand
National turbo V6 and T5 5 speed.  It will be a total custom with only the
body/frame being Datsun.  This project will take a couple more years, but
that is Ok.  I really enjoy time in the shop fabricating new parts.   See it
at www.picturetrail.com/spl311  .

Phil Hall
SEROC
OROC