Spacer casting

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spacer casting
From: "Joe Jackson" <rimshot@a-znet.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 01:09:54 -0400
I am new at this so please bear with me.
Nissan says they cannot supply  a replacement for the casting spacer-hose
connection that clamps the thermostat to the head on my 1967  1600. There was
correspondence recently warning of difficulty in removing it when stuck on the
long studs. After 3+ weeks of applying penetrating oil I removed it via
strong-arm methods and have a chip off the bottom flange that fits fairly
snugly when held on by hand.The chip is something like 3/16x3/16x1/2".
2 Questions-1. Does anyone have a  replacement for sale?(not show quality)
                        2. Is it possible to TIG weld the chip back on? The
part looks more like fragile pot-metal with a coarse grain rather than a good
grade of steel so I am skittish about trying. I have had some experience with
welding steel but none with casting........ Joe in upperNYstate