Re: Undercoating removal

To: Steven Harvey <stebharvey@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: Undercoating removal
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 07:44:52 -0600 (CST)
I'd be tempted to try an orange based solvent that I found at the local
Ace Hardware store. It is called "Contractor's Solvent" and claims to take
anything off! I didn't believe it, but thought it would be good for some
things. While cleaning up the shop I found the puddle of 3 year old
Permatex #3 that had been ignoring in the bottom of one of the bench
drawers. Kerosene doesn't do a very good job on this stuff, so I didn't
expect anything out of the Contractor's Solvent. Sprayed it on and pretty
much wiped it off! I've never seen Permatex come off that easily even when
fresh!

Next time I pull parts off that had gaskets installed with Permatex I will
try this stuff on that too!

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA