re: tires, wheels, offset

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: re: tires, wheels, offset
From: Gonridn2@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:34:33 EST
3/8" is pretty tight clearance.  Remember, if you are not using some type of
axle locating device (eg. panhardbar), the axle moves side to side within the
rear wheel wells under hard cornering, especially on leafspring cars.  I've
seen pictures of my roadster at the track under high sideloads with more than
one inch of sideways movement.  Add to that the compression of the springs,
and sideload flex of the tire sidewalls, and small clearances are gone.
Tight wheelwell clearances sure look cool, I've worked hard for the right
"look" on several cars, but coil rears, and low profile tires make it easier.
 You can always roll the inner lip of the wheel wells with a baseball bat if
the tire rubs.

Troy