Re: Brand New Prob, After 35 Years (revisited)

To: snyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Subject: Re: Brand New Prob, After 35 Years (revisited)
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:38:23 -1000
Marc:

I'm sorry to say that I cannot yet contribute, after receiving very helpful
advice
from the list.  I've had mainland refugees (snowbirds) visiting since that great
response.  They've just departed.  (Also, I was pleading an "arthritis excuse"
about servicing that switch when I finally saw where it was located ;-).

I have to say that I'm very interested in what you have found!  I also have to
say
that I would have been *extremely* disappointed to find that switch "good" after
going through the difficulty of removing it.

I had become pretty confident that it was the switch, particularly when Gary
Boone
said he had experienced two which had failed in 15 years, when mine had already
gone for 35.

Your experience points in the direction of another reply which I can't find (I
thought I had saved them all).  As I recall, that one talked about a bracket,
with
a rubber pad which contacts the switch plunger to actuate it.  As I recall,
wear of
this pad can allow the plunger to (pass through it?, and) not actuate the
switch.
That reply said that "moving that bracket might give me another 30 years", or
words
to that effect.

I'll be interested in your further findings.

Dave
'68 1600
Kaiua-Kona