Re: 67 1600 carb overflow

To: robbieharrison@comcast.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 67 1600 carb overflow
From: CafeRC51@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:50:03 EDT
In a message dated 4/30/2003 7:47:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
robbieharrison@comcast.net writes:

> Looks like I spoke too soon about my 1600 being ready to go. Turns out
> the front carb is spewing gas out the overflow tube. I've looked in the
> shop manual and it mentions the float and needle valve as sources of the
> problem.

In a message dated 4/30/2003 7:47:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
robbieharrison@comcast.net writes:

> Looks like I spoke too soon about my 1600 being ready to go. Turns out
> the front carb is spewing gas out the overflow tube. I've looked in the
> shop manual and it mentions the float and needle valve as sources of the
> problem.

Hello,

This sounds like the floats in your carbs are filling with fuel.  The stock
units are made of a very thin brass that float on the fuel inside of the
carbs.  When they are floating they shut off an intake so that the carbs will
not flood over.  Over the years they develop cracks that are usually hard to
notice.  But they do crack eventually and need to be replaced.

Mine started to do that on a trip to Solvang / Motorsports Show back in 1997.
 Les Cannaday of CDM had a set of plastic replacments and Dennis installed
them while I was in the bathroom.  It was a five minute fix.  You should
replace both of the units.  The old ones cannot be repaired so just toss them
out of wash them and make them into Christmas Tree ornaments.  <hah>

You can easily do the replacment.  It is just a matter of a few minutes.  And
while in there you can also cleam up the crud that will be sitting inside the
float bowl.  Hey... you may also want to pull the fuel filter unit and clean
that too.  And while you are at it you can also replace the fuel lines
and......

Calspeed