Oddball electrical question

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oddball electrical question
From: "Amy & Erik" <erikandamy@integraonline.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 22:59:34 -0500
I asked a question about my 68 2L strangely blowing the fuses after a cold
start, and the ammeter going negative when I shift to reverse.

Long story short:
I checked the light first to see if any power make it to the back of the
car.  I turned the key to "on" and shifted into reverse, no light.  I
checked the connections and it looked fine.

I tried starting it because I wasn't in the mood to dive under the dash to
look for bad wires, and what do you know, the reverse light now works.  I am
used to cars where all the electrical stuff works when the switch is in the
"on" position.  Anyone else with a high windshield, do you need to have the
car running to get the reverse light to work?  (wipers and  fan works when
the switch is on)
The ammeter doesn't dive when I shift to reverse anymore, so I guess I may
have had a loose connection, but I didn't see it.  Haven't blown any more
fuses.

I did find another strange thing.  The ammeter goes slightly positive when I
hit the brakes.  All other electrical sruff causes a slight shift to
negative.   Should I just call this a quirk of a 30+ year old car, or is it
something I should investigate?
The only non-stock thing I have done is the EI conversion.  I can't see how
this would effect any of the above.

Erik Smeby (long winded as usual)
69 ish 2L1600