question on fuel filter

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: question on fuel filter
From: Mtbdavid2@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 21:35:28 EDT
Hi all,
   I have the glass bowl type fuel filter on my '68 2000.  I just purchased a
paper filter and spring for the inside of the bowl.  Apparently the previous
owner had no filter or spring in the bowl.  My question is, does the spring
go in first and then the paper filter which is pushed against the top cap of
the bowl?  When there was no filter in the bowl the glass bowl was always
filled with fuel.  With the spring and filter in the bowl the fuel only fills
up the bowl less than half full, enough to cover the spring but only to the
bottom of the paper filter.  Is this normal?  What type of inline fuel filter
do you recommend?  I have solex carbs.  Should I run an inline fuel filter in
the fuel hose running to the carbs?
Thanks,
David