Another Race Report!

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another Race Report!
From: "Tom Phelan" <tomph@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 00:49:55 -0400
Hey Guys and Gals,

Just got back from the SCCA-CCR SOLO I Blue Ridge Hill Climb where yours
truely took 2nd place in EP and all I can say is - Hill climbs are a hoot!!
OK ... So there was only two EP cars but I was only 3 seconds off the 1st
place time. I was told I did real well since the 1st place car
(Super-charged TR6) was driven by a very experienced and talented driver.
BTW - I was running my vintage 205/60 vintage tires which were are about 1/2
the width of the TR6's tires. Not to mention that he also had special 3 part
Panasport wheels with an offset that put almost 2" inches of tire outside
the fender flares! Talk about a wide stance!

Anyway, I didn't see the final results list but I'm pretty sure I finished
in the top half over-all also. It'll be on their website soon so we can see
for sure.

On a tech note - it was a good chance to work on my solex jetting. Been
having a problem ever since I got the car running. Seems low speed and idle
is fine and WOT is fine. However, any transition from low speed to WOT
resulted in the car bogging down and stumbling all over itself. This hasn't
been much of a problem on the road courses I've been on since I'm usually at
WOT all the time once I get going.

But, over the weekend it misted rain all day for two days and the hill was
wet and slick! Put these conditions on a course that has several turns that
require feathered throttle steering and then add a car with no mid-range and
you have a recipe for disaster.  With either low speed or WOT Day one saw me
slipping and sliding and driving sideways almost as much as I was going
straight. Lots of fun for me and the spectators but not very fast. I ended
up with a couple of 1:14 runs.

Day two had to change. Since I'm a totally unskilled and near incompetent
carb-wise I trundled of to talk to some Z-guys running solex's to discuss
what I should do. We figured I was probably running way to rich and that the
accelerator pump might be the culprit. The short version - over the next
three runs I stepped down the accelerator jet from 50 to 45 to 35 and
watched my run times drop from 1:14 to a 1:09 as the stumble got less and
less.

All in all a very satisfying weekend. Gotta look at the calendar to see
what's next. Next we work on the tach issue. ;-)

Tom P