RE: fuel line to gas tank fitting?

To: "Dixon, Clifton, TSG, 134ARW, CP" <Clifton.Dixon@tnknox.ang.af.mil>,
Subject: RE: fuel line to gas tank fitting?
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:05:38 -0700
I spent 3 weeks trying to get one of these fittings off without damaging the
tank fittings.  I used a good quality flare wrench to prevent damage to the
nut and tried everything except heat from a torch to free that nut (no
courage).  That included just applying penetrating oil, wrapping the fitting
with a rag soaked in penetrating oil and letting it soak for days, heat from
a hair dryer (not enough heat), tapping on the fitting to vibrate the
connection, and probably some other things I have forgotten.  In the end I
still had a good nut thanks to the flare wrench, but it was still solidly
attached to the tank.

I ended up cutting the metal line a few inches above the tank fitting and
again 8-10" away from the tank fitting and using a piece of flexible fuel
hose to fill that gap.

The second fitting came off easily.  When I reattached it to the tank I made
sure anti-seize compound was on the threads to keep that one free when it
needs to come off again.

When I tried to experiment with removal methods on the tank on my parts car
I snapped the tank fitting on the first attempt and broke a cheap flare
wrench on the second fitting.  Make sure when you use a flare (sometimes
called tubing) wrench that is of good quality and has a lot of metal
surrounding the interior surfaces of the wrench so that the wrench itself
cannot distort under pressure.

Tom
69 2000 "Mr. Hyde"
Portland, OR