Subject: RE: fuel line to gas tank fitting?

To: <tom@fransfancies.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Subject: RE: fuel line to gas tank fitting?
From: "Amy & Erik" <erikandamy@integraonline.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 13:19:47 -0500
" spent 3 weeks trying to get one of these fittings off without damaging the
tank fittings.  I used a good quality flare wrench to prevent damage to the
nut and tried everything except heat from a torch to free that nut (no
courage).  That included just applying penetrating oil, wrapping the fitting
with a rag soaked in penetrating oil and letting it soak for days, heat from
a hair dryer (not enough heat), tapping on the fitting to vibrate the
connection, and probably some other things I have forgotten.  In the end I
still had a good nut thanks to the flare wrench, but it was still solidly
attached to the tank."

I had the same trouble with my parts car.  I cut the lines to remove the
tank, and took it to my mechanic father in law for him to try.  He figued
heat would be  the only thing that would do it, so he put a hose in the tank
and filled it untill it was overflowing (and left the water running).  He
used his welding torch to heat them enough to loosen.  Wroked like a charm.

The water would displace any fumes.  This was from my parts car, which
hadn't had gas in it for years, but  had that nasty old gas smell.
Safe?  I am sure some folks will say no.  I wasn't too crazy about the idea
when he was going it.  It didn't explode, so I figure that was a good sign.

Use at your own risk.  You could take the tank to one of the tank-renu
types, and have them take care of it after it is cleaned I suppose.

Erik Smeby
2L 1600
Savage, MN
PS, for the first time since I have owned it, every electrical thing on my
car is working (sans radio and cig lighter, which I removed).  Though I
would imagine I have strayed a bit from the factory wiring diagram.