More on carbs

To: Datsun-Roadsters List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: More on carbs
From: bill <wschaibe@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 18:09:54 -0700
To all who answered regarding my carbs, thank you.

Results so far are inconclusive (to me).  Victor was right that the
effort to lift each piston is related to  the plunger.  Having two extra
carbs to work with, I was able to find two plungers which provided
approximately equal resistance.  To what end I do not know.  Is this
another fine tuning item or just a curiosity with no real effect?

I am uncertain about the needle centering.  Without the plunger, I get a
pretty decent thunk, but not with the plunger.  The same piston in a
different carb will yield a good thunk.  So, is something going on in
the carb body?  The needle itself doesn't appear to be unevenly or
excessively worn.

I swapped the dome and piston with one of the spares (I don't even know
if the needles are the same or how to tell), tried to equalize the lift
pressure on the pistons as best I could and went for a test drive.  I
couldn't tell any difference. I'll drive it around like this for a while
and see what happens.

The engine actually runs quite nicely and has for some time.  My biggest
complaint is that it doesn't return to a nice idle consistently and I
have been dieseling some.  From previous posts, I suspect these are due
to other factors.  So I still have the question about how all this
affects performance?  Is this something that would be noticeable only to
someone really tuned into engines?

Anyway, this all keeps me from thinking about life's more important
questions.  Thanks for all the input.

Bill
San Diego
70 1600