Half cars versus half-year cars

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Half cars versus half-year cars
From: "Donna and Terry Cost" <tcost@hot.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:45:11 -0500
I actually have a half-car.  I bought it from a guy in Apache, Oklahoma who
had two roadsters under a tin shed out on a lake lot. The price was right
for the pair and I looked (I thought) to find major problems, but I didn't
crawl around in the dirt to check.  A considerable time later, after I had
painted and driven the Gray Ghost for several months I was looking under the
car to put in an emergency trunk unlocking cable and I noticed the rear
frame crossmember had been cut and rewelded.  I then noticed that the trunk
interior was red and the engine compartment was black. (I know, don't rub it
in)  The crunched trunk of a 1968 2000 had been cut off in front of the
package tray and an early model trunk welded in its place.  I then noticed
that the front fender flares were late model and the rear flares were early
(as in no flare).  I had already gone through the wiring to trace the rear
lights, all done with blue wires and butt connectors by a previous owner.  I
knew about that from the pre-sale inspection (such as it was) and just
figured the PO was inept.  What he actually did was cut the wires at the
firewall when he cut off the trunk.  Les Cannady judged my car at the 1998
Albuquerque Z Car convention and I came in a respectable third place in the
stock-appearing cobbled-together street driver class. I would have placed
fourth but I took along my stock 30+ year old spare tire and wheel (from the
early trunk) and got points for original equipment.  Mike Steinback won the
Really Stock Roadster Class with his 2000.  He did a bare-metal restoration
to better-than-new.

Naomi, Are you asking about putting another body on your frame or just a
piece of a body? The windshield cowl, doors, and fenders don't interchange
and will need body work, probably more expensive than buying a complete
shell and putting it on your frame. Or you can buy my half-car, a rare and
desirable collectors item.

Leisure Suit Terry