Question #1 Oil

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Question #1 Oil
From: "Ian Miller" <ianmiller07@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 08:49:59 -0400
This is the first of a few questions I have, but I'm going to keep them on
seperate post so the threads don't get confused.

What oil does everyone run.  I don't want to get into a synthetic vis
dinosaur debate here, I've already made up my mind on that.  But I have the
typical leaky rear main seal.  Maybe 1 quart every 3 weeks of driving.  I
have been running Mobile 1 15W30.  Now my car is still running very hot and
when the temperature guage would climb up into the 220's my pressure would
drop to 20psi at 1000 rpm (60 psi when cold).  When reved to 3000 rpm the
pressure would climb into the 40's.  That seemed a little on the low side to
me.

So I just changed my oil to the Mobile 1 performance engine 20W 50.  Guess
what no more oil leak!  And pressure that is incredible even when hot.  When
cold at Idle I get 60psi still.  When I rev it and its cold I get
80-90psi!!! but once its hot the pressure fluctuates from 50 psi at idle to
65 psi when revving.

Any comments?  I understand the difference between density and viscosity.
The higher psi is because the oil is more dense, therefore a pump putting up
a specific amount of head will have a higher pressure at a higher density
fluid.  But the flow through the oil galleries will decrease wit increasing
viscosity.  I guess my question is am I getting enough flow with the heavy
weight oil? Do I have too much psi?

Whew question 1 is done.  Now you know why I want to break up the threads.

Thanks for the insight
Ian Miller
66 1600 Stroker
67 1600 waiting patiently