What Oil I Run & Engine Temp

To: "Datsun Team" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: What Oil I Run & Engine Temp
From: "Jon and Maggie" <jm.rider@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 21:11:50 -0700
Hi Everyone,

I also run Castrol GTX 20W-50 for the same reason as Ian.  I like to keep my
oil pressure up.  I ran it in my 1st Roadster with great success and went back
to it in this one on my 1st oil change.  Never tried a synthetic but have no
oil leaks (which I absolutely love!).

I will say, however, that my temp never gets up to the 220's even when I'm
pushing my car hard.  My experience in the past - high temps mean warped
heads!  That is one thing I learned and learned well with my 1st roadster.

I strongly agree with all of those who gave advice about how to get your
temperature under control.  First thing I did when I got my latest roadster -
got my gage working (the previous owner lived without it - didn't work after
the engine was rebuilt - the sending unit simply had to be grounded), had the
radiator cleaned and rodded, replaced my thermostat with a new one (std 180
degree), bought an electronic distributor from our local expert (that way I
knew it was properly curved) and verified my timing at 16 degrees (with SU's -
no smog stuff).  I have a standard radiator, radiator shroud and a 4 blade
fan.  I also spent time on my SU's to ensure that they were tuned properly -
not too lean.  I've driven my car hard in temps approaching 100 degrees
without the needle moving off the small 'F' on my temp gage.  The temp remains
very stable no matter what the temp is outside or how hard I drive it - up
mountains or down them.

For all of those on the list with temp issues - spend the time now to get them
fixed and you'll save yourself a lot of heartache.  Pulling the radiator is
easy and a clean-and-rod will only cost you $80 at your local radiator shop.
The shop I took mine to did it in one full day.  I think it can be pulled with
removal of 5 bolts and 2 hoses.  I remove the radiator with the rails on it -
that way you don't even have to take the shroud off.  The shroud is a must so
get one (it's cheaper than a new head or cost of shaving head).  The
thermostat is only  $5 - $7 at your local Napa Dealer (the one I went to only
listed the 1600 but it is the same as the 2000) -  only have to loosen two
nuts to get to that.    Ensure that your distributor is functioning properly -
if your car's pinging, you're raising your water temp - back it off until it
doesn't.  If the timing is way off, you're either running too lean or your
distributor needs work.

When I read about all of those who run with high temps, I cringe, because I've
been there and paid dearly for it.  It has been my experience that 'high temp'
is a roadster killer more than anything else (in my very humble opinion, of
course - big smile).  It will cause you nothing but trouble.

 OK, I'll get off the soap box now, I'm done ranting.

Thanks for all the continuing support.

Jon
'69 2000
Bothell, WA