RE: transmission refill

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: transmission refill
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 14:09:17 -0700
You've basically got two approaches. You can either use a funnel and a long
hose, and approach it from the engine compartment, or you can get a fluid
pump-type device and pump a half-quart or so at a time into the tranny from
down below. I'd advise getting the pump, because you'll need it for the diff
anyway.

BTW, make sure you can get the fill plug out before you drain the trans.
Electrolysis can occur between the steel plug and the aluminum tranny case
that can make it a real bear to get out. Put some anti-sieze compound or
teflon tape on the plugs before reinstalling them.

I almost got myself trapped "back in the day" when I drained the trans at a
rent-a-hoist place, then couldn't get the fill plug out. I wound up putting
a 1/2" breaker bar on the fill plug, then beating on the breaker bar with a
BFH. It finally came loose.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA
www.gordon-glasgow.org