RE: 350/350

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 350/350
From: TWFAUST@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 23:58:11 EDT
Hello All,
Need some help with debugging a 350/350 combo that followed me home the
other day..(its in a 73 Chevy truck).  The PO had just installed an
Edelbrock 600CFM carb and the truck was running really poorly.  The
transmission was kicking down at weird times and the engine was
surging/backfiring and I could not get it above 40mph. It starts right up
and idles fine.  Then it started to overheat and I called it a day.
I need some help in determining which is the correct way to mount an
edlebrock carb.  I am having issues with how the throttle cable is connected
and how the transmission kickdown cable is attached.  The PO did not know
what she was doing and I am pretty sure the cables are installed wonky and
that they are the cause of my misery.  There is no throttle return spring
the kickdown cable appears to be providing that function...?  The Edelbrock
manual is useless because it says copy what was there before..but I don't
know what was there before...Can someone point me to a link with pictures of
this install done correctly?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This still has an original points type dist that looks a bit worn. Is it
worth the money to switch to the newer HEI dist?
I will try to have pics posted soon but any advice now would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
    Daniel Neuman
    72 XJ6350/350

"The PO had just installed an Edelbrock 600CFM carb"
 That is a big carb for a workhorse 350. I would look to the jetting.

"It starts right up and idles fine."
It is only running on the primaries.

" The PO did not know what she was doing and I am pretty sure the cables are
installed wonky and that they are the cause of my misery."
 Have a look at the "Lokar" site, they make an excellent universal cable for
tranny kickdown.

 "There is no throttle return spring the kickdown cable appears to be
providing that function...?"
There should be a throttle return spring, location is not particularly
important as long as it pulls forward and doesn't interfere with the kickdown
cable.

 The Edelbrock manual is useless because it says copy what was there
before..but I don't know what was there before...Can someone point me to a
link with
pictures of
this install done correctly?  Any help would be greatly appreciated."
 Edelrock makes "adapter kits" for all of the major brands, GM, Ford, Mopar.
They are about $13.00. The lack of the right pieces may be part of your
problem.

"This still has an original points type dist that looks a bit worn. Is it
worth the money to switch to the newer HEI dist?"
It's worth it. It is a junkyard item. The distributor for any V-8 (262, 307,
350) will do, I think it has to be prior to '81. I can't help too much on the
specifics on dates. I have one of the "right ones" if a picture would help.
Try GMForums.com. I am sure someone can walk you through the conversion. It is
not difficult.

Tom Faust
"Mopar, or no car" perhaps an occasional Datsun.
"Objects appearing in this mirror are Ricers"