O/T - Phony eBay Billing Problem Notice

To: "Roadsters E-Mail List" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: O/T - Phony eBay Billing Problem Notice
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:53:32 -0700
A few days I received my expected billing for auction listings on eBay.
Today I received a notice from eBay indicating that there was a problem with
my method of payment.  I looked at the URL for the eBay web page.  It is:

http://www.ebayupdate.net/

When you go to www.whois.com and enter ebayupdate.net there is no result
returned.  whois.com will tell you a lot about the registered owner of a
domain name.  The less they know the less interested in whatever the page is
about you should be.

When you load the web page there is a java script error, and when you look
at the source HTML script for the web page you find it is a free DHTML
script by Nick Lowe (nicklowe@ukonline.co.uk).

The page seems to use real eBay graphics, but requests everything they can
think to ask you about your personal information starting with your eBay
user name and password.  From their they want everything they can think of.
Probably far more than eBay wanted when you originally registered with them.

As a final step I went to eBay.com and logged into my account.  The recent
billing has been collected and there are no problems indicated there.

This is the first such fraudulent I have seen claiming to be from eBay, but
I have seen three or so claiming to be from PayPal.  Those even followed up
when I did not respond and insisted that I update their records.  I replied
telling them to go to hell and they never sent another request follow up
request.

REMEMBER.  IF YOU DON'T START THE EXCHANGE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION, DON'T
SEND ANY INFORMATION AT ALL.  It is probably a fraud, and there should
always be a way to log onto your account and see what is really going on.

Tom
Portland