RE: Low engine vacuum ....

To: "'Napolean Dynamite'" <elvis@channel1.com>,
Subject: RE: Low engine vacuum ....
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@RadOnc17.UCSF.Edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:33:10 -0700
Okay I hope when you say 'starter fluid' you mean carb cleaner right?
Please tell me you are not covering hot engine bits with a highly flammable
fluid.  The way this is usually done is to spray carb cleaner (which does
not burn) around at suspected leaky spots.  If the engine stumbles (cause
the unburnable carb cleaner got sucked in thru a hole.) then you have a
leak.
Low vacuum could mean a lot of things.  It could mean your valves are not
seating correctly.  It could also mean that your SU throttle shafts are
leaking and or the many gaskets in the intake system after the carbs are
leaking.
        Daniel Neuman
        Oakland CA
        69 2000

$
$Hello,
$
$I tried sending this twice before, but I don't think it ever made it.
$Here's one more chance.
$
$Thanks,
$
$Mike
$
$What does it mean when the rpm decreases when spraying starter fluid
$were the air  filter meets the carbs. I have been told my car has low
$engine vacuum. I have a U20/SU setup. Should I be looking anywhere else
$for the source of the low vacuum? I sprayed starter fluid all around the
$carbs and linkage and the only place that caused any difference in the
$rpm rate was at the point where the air filter meets the carbs.
$
$How is engine vacuum measured?
$