O/T PL411 starts, fires for a few, then dies

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: O/T PL411 starts, fires for a few, then dies
From: Adam Bradley <adambradley@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:01:16 -0700
Dunno what's going on.  Engine was completely removed and
reinstalled.  Today is the first time I fired it.  Car has an electric fuel
pump and did before the engine was pulled and it worked then.  The PL411
has an internal resistance coil, not an external ballast resistor.  Car
fires longer than just while the key is in the ON position - maybe 5-10
seconds total, then sputters and dies.  Doesn't matter if I have the choke
engaged or not, the throttle wide open, partially open, whatever.  It fires
great for a few seconds, then sounds like it's running on two or three
cylinders, then dies.  The engine was pulled because the throwout bearing
went bad.  It ran great before that.  I didn't adjust timing, valves, or
replace any tune-up items during the repair.

Any ideas what to look at?

Adam Bradley
'70 Datsun 1600 Roadster SPL311-28181
'66 Datsun PL411 sedan PL411-022447