Re: anodized aluminum

To: JOver4X4@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: anodized aluminum
From: TWFAUST@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:19:25 EDT
In a message dated 8/31/03 10:45:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
JOver4X4@aol.com writes:

> List,
>
> I attended the Grand Prix of Denver today and saw a wrinkle finish coating
> on
> the intake plenum and fuel injection runners of high end cars on display.
> ie:
> Maserati, Ferrari etc.  I think they were anodized in various colors with a
> wrinkle finish.  The finish looked like wrinkle finish paint but I don't
> believe the high end manufacturers would paint their aluminum parts.  Has
> anyone
> heard of a wrinkle finish anodized coating process?  I did a quick web
> search but
> didn't find anything.
>
> This might look neat on a U20 valve cover!!?
>
> John Over
> 68 2L

I think you will find that the "high end" manufacturers do indeed use wrinkle
finish paint. There is no form of anodizing that will produce that effect
that I know of. Most manufacturers have moved from aluminum to plastic for
plenums and runners that may explain the effect.
Tom Faust