Some disassembly required to change air cleaner element

To: "Datsun" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Some disassembly required to change air cleaner element
From: "Leon Felkins" <leonf@perspicuity.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:04:54 -0500
I'm new to the list, so I apologize if this has been posted before -- which
it probably has (but I couldn't find it).

I have a Datsun 1600, 1967 1/2. It originally belonged to my wife but has
been setting up for a few years. I am now giving it a tune-up and
maintenance service as it appears to run OK and we want to do a little
touring this fall.

Yesterday I changed the air cleaner element but it was a struggle. I had to
remove the air cleaner box to get the element out and in as there is not
enough clearance between the two bolts that hold the flat cover and the
fender body.

Is this normal? Surely not. I can't figure out what the problem is as my
configuration looks quite similar to the pictures in the manuals (I believe
my assembly is as pictured on Fig. 9, page H2 of the parts manual, part no.
16500-14700, "SU" carburetors.

Thanks.

Leon