Re: OT - motorcycle

To: datsun_sports@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OT - motorcycle
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 23:00:21 EDT
In a message dated 9/10/03 7:18:06 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
datsun_sports@hotmail.com writes:

> the last few weeks I have been kicking around the idea of getting a street
> bike for pleasure rides and maybe shorts trips with the better half.
snip ...

I grew up around things w/ 2 wheels and motors.....

First, HELMET !   It is way more comfortable than the bandages ! And, even if
it's hotter than hell out, dress appropriately - cover your feet/arms/legs -
I work in an ER, not gonna ruin everyone's dinner w/ roadrash stories... I see
so many idiots running around here in shorts & sandals on their bikes.  <<
shaking head >>

You mention trips w/ the wife : As a veteran of MANY miles on the back of the
bike for road trips, if youre gonna include her, then  make sure the back
seat is comfy!! Lotsa bikes don't put much thought into the passgr.
accomodations. Also, you mention riding dirt bikes - it's a completely diff
story w/ a
passenger on the back, do lots of practice w/ that second party along before
attempting a long trip.   Another seeming silly, but really helpful thing: Does
she
ride too ? If not, you may want to consider teaching her - she may make a
better passenger. I've given rides to folks who didn't, and corners get get a
little hairy ! If your pass actually understands the bike is *supposed* to be
leaning it makes life a lot easier. <G>

When I lived back in WA, the local Goldwing club held  all-day poker run
events - some of the best times I had w/ my dad were on those runs.... look to
see
if there is a   touring club near you and get involved !  ( no, he didnt have
a goldwing, but they were nice and didn't make fun of his big Suzuki!!)

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
AzROC
Chandler, AZ