Re: K & N air filters

To: "bill" <wschaibe@ucsd.edu>,
Subject: Re: K & N air filters
From: "mike pieczarka" <mikep@bikeswap.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 18:34:29 -0600
Bill - I did a little research into this subject last year and came up with
a K&N to the stock air cleaner on my 67.5 1600. I've copied the original
emails below.

mike

I found a K&N Air filter that fits in the stock 1600 air cleaner assembly,
the part number is E-1290, it is a round, 11.0" by 2.75" high filter. This
filter fits most Ford and Dodge light trucks with the 2bbl V-8. I searched
K&N's website looking by dimension for an oval that might fit, none came
close so I called K&N and asked which style would accept being deformed
best, they said round as long as it didn't have the wire reinforcing rings.
So, I measured the circumference of the stock filter and came up with 34.25"
which works out to 10.9" dia., went out to my old Toyota truck, grabbed it's
K&N and began to deform. Since it almost fit I checked K&N's website again
and got the stated dimensions (E-2820, 11.5 by 2.00) and deduced that an 11"
filter oughta' work. Ran down to the local Major Chain Auto Parts Store,
grabbed the E-1290 off the shelf, paid the man, hopped back in the car, took
it out of the box, tried it, perfect fit (minor adjustments required). The
2.75" height works just right with the stock Datsun rubber gaskets removed.
The minor adjustment that was required was the removal with razor knife of
an approx. .125" sealing lip on the top and bottom of the K&N, it came off
so easily that I think it was designed to be removed. K&N makes a pretty
wide range of round filters in various heights and there is probably one
that will fit in the oval / semi-diamond shaped 2000 filter housing. Just
measure the circumference of the stock filter, calculate the diameter and
then search www.knfilters.com by dimension. I can post some pictures of mine
if anybody is interested.

I've posted a couple of pics of the filter installed on my roadster. These
are just quick and dirty, I'll post better and more details after we pick
the car up and bring it home later this afternoon

pics are at  http://www.bikeswap.com/datsun/filter.htm  be warned that I
didn't have time yet to reduce the file sizes so they are about 350 KB each

mike

p.s.  the pictures are still up