2000 lash pad fell out - Help?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 2000 lash pad fell out - Help?
From: "John F" <jfried@lvcm.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:27:15 -0700
The engine suddenly started making a loud TAP TAP TAP....  Got home, took of
valve cover, started adjusting valves.  2n one from the front had a 1/8" gap
between the cam lobe and the, the, lever thingy that pushes the valve down.
Laying in there was the lash pad.

Does this indicate a possible problem with that valve or seat, or did it
just fall out on its own?  How does it get put back in?  Does the flat side
of the lash pad face up or down?

Please don't laugh, I've never had this apart before...

I'd appreciate any help in getting this back in - the more specific the
better.  Thanks,

John Friederich
'69 2000 (Solex)