Unusual iron Roadster cylinder head identified!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Unusual iron Roadster cylinder head identified!
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:57:05 -0400
A few days ago, there was some discussion on the list about an iron cylinder
head that was missing some studs.  Well, I finally got a chance to look at
it today and it piqued my interest.  I dug through my Roadster info and I
have identified it!  It is indeed a Roadster head - one that is much more
rare than a 2000 non-smog head as well.  That head is the correct head for a
single carb 1500.  According to the service bulletin for the introduction of
the twin carb model, the intake ports were revised to improve flow (this is
also referenced in the Bob Sharp manual - now available on Datsun.org - as
being a drawback to the early 1500 heads) and the lower studs were added to
improve the sealing of the intake.

According to the service bulletin, the head is not interchangeable with the
later heads, but I suspect that it could be bolted on.  The lower studs
missing mean that the intake would likely leak (the early single carb intake
was bolted to the exhaust - that helps keep tension on it to seal - since
the later units are not bolted together, the intake would be much looser on
the bottom by design without the studs)  I guess that someone could add the
studs though, but why?  The flow being worse means less performance.

If you want to look at it, the auction has ended - item number is
2438321876.

On the note about Andrew.  Well, I am sure that some folks are tired of
seeing the updates about his car and reading about him swooning over it.
Well, there is a delete key for those folks.  I enjoyed looking at the
progress and final product.  I am happy for Andrew and understand his pride
in the car.  Is it what I would have done given the same opportunity and
finances?  Probably not, but hey, it isn't my car!  I am glad to see people
paying big bucks to restore these cars.  The more frequently that it happens
the sooner they will get some positive press and recognition.  Hopefully it
will not be too late...

Sidney Raper
1964 1500
1967 SRL311 00060
1967 SRL311 00076
Jacksonville Florida
http://www.geocities.com/roadsternut/index.html

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!