SU Carb Questions - U20 with "B" Cam

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: SU Carb Questions - U20 with "B" Cam
From: Scott Occhiuto <calabria1922@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:08:05 -0800 (PST)
Hi all!

I am having some troubles getting my SUs working
properly and not sure how much of it is due to having
the "B" cam in it.  Some on the list have given me
some great help (thanks DatsunMike for the awesome
spreadsheet!) and I am making headway.

Is anyone running a 2000 with SUs and the "B" cam?

ENGINE SETUP:
- 68 2000
- de-smogged since 1976
- Rebuilt SU Carbs, new floats but old needles
- Air/Fuel nuts 1 turn out on front carb, 1/2 turn out
on back carb
- No visible signs of blowby at the throttle shafts
- About 2000 miles on a total engine rebuild
- recurved distributer about 30K ago
- MSD 6AL
- Exhaust is 2" with (2) 24" glass packs in series
- new "B" cam about 30K ago
- Old needles are 1.53" long (short?), have no
markings and show wear at the idle and off idle
position
- The diameters of my needles match closely to a KK
for the first inch but lean out (larger diameters)
compared to the KK for the last half inch.
- The length of my needles seem to be shorter than
most of those I have seen in the spreadsheets

SYMPTOMS
- running a little rich at idle - smelly
- lean off idle and part throttle - stumbles
- pulls hard to 4500 then starts to taper off above
that (lean?  rich?  I hear no pinging, no high temps)
- setting the carbs richer makes for stronger low end
power up to 4500 but not much difference at full
throttle above that
- setting the carbs richer makes it hard to synhronize
them, requiring me to screw in the idle screws and the
back carb is already all the way in to begin with.
- Tried some longer needles in from an old 240 (richer
at idle - leaner at the high end) which made it run
smoother without stumbles at the low end but flatter
at the high end

What do you all think?