Re: PVC Valve on a U20

To: Perry Smith <tpsmithstl@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: PVC Valve on a U20
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:30:22 -0800
> I bought a PCV valve (listed on the JC Whitney site and at my local
> Autozone) but there isn't one installed on the car.

Nor should there be. Autozone is wrong (imagine that...)

The crankcase hose runs from the top of the valve cover to the
venturi port on the air cleaner. No valve, no restrictor. Oh, make
sure you have the rubber 'tee' hose INSIDE the air cleaner chamber.
It connects the external hose fitting to the two actual venturi tubes
(one in each velocity stack).

> BTW, there is a plugged crankcase hole on the block as well

Ummm, what hole is this? There's several casting plugs (commonly,
and wrongly, called 'freeze plugs') that tie into the water jacket, but
there isn't an open hole into the crankcase, unless something 'really
bad' has happened :-)

Since it's a closed system, there should be little vapor being drawn
thru the ventilation system if the engine is good and tight. People
that find lots of oil in the air cleaner typically also find shot rings,
guides, and/or seals in the engine proper. I mention this to allay your
fears of fouling your new carbs - if the engine is fresh you won't suck
much crud thru them.

-- John