Timing & Carb Problems

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing & Carb Problems
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:19:32 -0500
When I reassembled my stroker engine and fired her up I timed it using max
advance at 3000 rpms @36* with vacuum advance cut off. I noticed that the
timing was moving around and I could hear it and feel it too as if it were
missing. At idle (about 1200 rpms) it doesn't move.

I checked everything and checked the movement of the rotor and it moved
around quite a bit. The dizzy is almost new with only about 5000 miles on it
with a Pertronix.

I went down into my 'parts store' and checked 3 other Roadster dizzies and
they all had some rotor movement. I checked the Gary Boone dizzy and his had
much less rotor 'free play'. I plan to install the GB dizzy tomorrow to see
if that cures the problem.

Do the dizzy drive gears loosen up? Oil pump slot expand? I just can't
believe there is so much play.

On the road it doesn't feel like I get all that movement.

BTW, the engine has a Malvern HP cam, new chain, OEM gears and tensioner.

I also installed new 2000 carb bodies and I'm having problems getting a
relatively smooth 1200 rpm idle. When I remove a vacuum plug on the intake
manifold the engine speed picks up which indicates a rich condition but when
I lean the carbs the engine stumbles and gets rough. A very interesting
problem I hope somebody can help me out with.

BTW, these NOS carb bodies were set up by the factory incorrectly. The
butterfly was off-center, the chokes didn't open the nozzles or butterflies
the same amount as compared to each other, and the butterfly screws on one
of the carbs were not staked.

My older rebuilt carbs gave me a smoother idle using the same needles and
pistons.

Thanks for the help,
Mike