Re: Cly Head question

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cly Head question
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 15:02:46 -0600
>James Richards
>
> What is the minimum cylinder head thickness allowed for a 1600 with
> domed pistons.   I think it is 3.250" I just need to verify if this is
> correct.  Second, if a head after resurfacing measures 3.200" how much
> material can be fly-cut out of the cylinder head combustion chamber to
> eliminate interference.  I have located a few machine shops in my GA
> area that can perform this work. However, I wanted to make sure they do
> not cut into the water jackets.   I am aware of businesses on the west
> coast that perform this function such as Mr. Apostal. I was just curious
> if anyone had the dimensions that could be forwarded to a machinist so
> the work could be performed locally.  I am open to suggestions for the
> best method to correct the interference issue short of replacing the
> pistons with flat tops.

James,

IMHO, there's a larger concern by cutting into the chambers than just
increasing combustion chamber volume to decrease compression. Cutting into
the head as you describe alters the shape of the combustion chamber
significantly which can lead to all sorts of problems by itself. Books have
been written on chamber volume and shape and how and why to do certain
things.

Seems to me that you're trying to fix a problem, a head that was cut too
much, with a somewhat symptomatic fix rather than addressing the root cause.
In my experience that's seldom if ever works and I've most often had to
start over again, after the first "fix",  spending more time and money than
I would have if I'd fixed the original problem the best way in the first
place.

Hope that all makes some sense.

FWIW,
Ron