One Ride and Multiple Failures: a long sad story, hope for a

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: One Ride and Multiple Failures: a long sad story, hope for a
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:57:28 +0000
Hello List,
Went on a nice fast ride in the country in SAKE RKT, and at one stop sign
that is slightly uphill
I did a pleasing burnout.  The car certainly dosnt lay down a long black
stripe, but the Falken Azinis are soft and hardly squeel, but produce a very
satisfying cloud of tire smoke, a good view in the rear veiw mirror as you
speed away.  It almost seems as the car was "feeling good" and not beating
on it, but running thru the gears to 5,000 RPM or so, I was soon going very
fast in 5th gear, and slowed down for a gentle S curve.  Glancing at the
gages, I noticed fuel was now zero, which is strange because there was more
than half a tank a few minutes ago...all other gages working ok.
Hmmm, maybe the violent fuel slosh during the rapid acceleration did in the
sender, made a mental note to look at it when I got home....when all of a
sudden, BLAM....the car hit a new frost heave in the road, followed by a
wounded knee sensation on my side of the car.  It turns out that the driver
side front spring broke, snapped off where it was squished down one coil and
welded.  I know I should have just heated them and collapsed one coil, like
it says in the Competition manual....that particular bit is perfectly clear
now, hindsight being 20/20 and all.....I will do that with the next
set....or bite the bullet and get some comp springs.  So yesterday after
work I was pulling out the springs and shocks when I noticed the passanger
side shock had lots of oil dribbleing down the side.
I worked the shock and lots more oil pumped out....oh great, a blown shock
also.  The vintage Tokiko shocks were in great shape, and I did not replace
them when I went thru the car several years ago....I guess their time has
finally come.  One bit of good news, my local Advance Auto will sell me KYB
GR-2 shocks for $22 each.  Its amazing the listings they still have for this
car....when you least expect to find a part easily.  So, If I can pick up
the shocks tonight, maybe I can get the car together for the autocross on
Sunday, if I heat and collapse my spare set of front springs.  I can even
make the passanger side spring a little taller, to even out the slightly
un-level stance I complained about last summer.

My son asked if I was angry about all the stuff breaking on the car, and I
said "No"....I told him that
the red car was jealous of all the time I was spending on the 510 sportwagon
project, and she just wanted to remind me that she deserved some attention
also.  Since the car is up on stands I will
change the brake fluid, the oil, and grease her, and try to fix that exhaust
rattle.  The gas gage will get looked at also.  Hope its just a loose
wire...... My son (almost 16) looked at me with that
"dad is nuts about his cars" look, and walked away....hey at least I dont
play video games 8 hours a day!

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake Virginia
67 pushrod 2L 5spd
72 510 sportwagon project

Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now!