RE: Rack and Pinion Conversion

To: "'Mikep'" <mikep@bikeswap.com>
Subject: RE: Rack and Pinion Conversion
From: "Brian Hollands" <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:13:43 -0500
I've heard of it being done but never seen one.  I don't think it could
be done without some cutting of the frame which would put you in E-Mod.
I don't think you'd get any benefit from such a swap either as far as
autocrossing is concerned - it would just up the cool factor at the
local bench races.  SM2 would be a fun place for roadster to play but
it's a high horsepower class.  A n/a SR20 would probably be very
competitive at regional events but not beyond that.  If "light
autocrossing" is the intent - I'd just build a cool car and run whatever
class it happens to fit.  SM2 rules allow a pretty good bit of fun
though.  You'd have to go SR20DET and figure on at least 300RWHP to be
competitive in that class at divisional/national events.  Take a look at
the results from the Houston tour this weekend (should be up next week
on the SCCA site).  Ian Stewart (3rd in BS at Topeka last year) and
Robert Palmblad (5th in SM2 last year) are running Palmblad's
supercharged Miata.  It's easily the fastest Miata I've ever seen.
They're right around 300HP at the wheels after some upgrades from last
season.  Even so, one of the guys I race with all the time just put a
blower on his BMW M-Coupe and beat Palmblad at the Ft. Myers Tour in
February.
I've thought about an SR/FJ20DET Roadster or 510 for that class.  Maybe
one day.

Brian '69 2000
Tampa, FL
web.Tampabay.rr.com/oilleak

with a little light autocrossing in mind.
Hopefully it wouldn't end up in A-Mod, maybe street mod to whip up on
late model riceboys.