Silicone Break Fluid

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Silicone Break Fluid
From: Scott Occhiuto <calabria1922@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:22:51 -0800 (PST)
Hi Everyone,

When I brought my car out of mothballs after not being
driven for 20 years, the hydraulic system was bone dry
and all master and slave cylinders were completely
frozen.  I replaced all cylinders and flex lines and
since it was all new except for the hard lines, which
have been dry for a long time, I put DOT 5 silicone
fluid in it.

I have heard that DOT 5 does not work well for racing
and that you have to be careful to bleed thoroughly as
water won't absorb into the fluid, but will collect in
the low spots.  I have had the car on the road now for
about 18 months with no brake problems.  There could
be a "hint" of sponginess but I can't remember what
the brakes used to feel like 22 years ago!  It
definitely is not as firm as the power assisted brakes
of my newer cars.

I just noticed the other day, a little "cloudiness"
and some black debris in the master cylinders so I
sucked it out with a baster and refilled with the same
brand of Silicone fluid that I had left over when I
first put it in.

Does anyone have experience using silicone break
fluid?

Any problems?

Can you substitute with any brand of DOT 5 silicone
fluid?  I am running low on the brand I had used and
can't seem to find that brand in the local parts
stores.

Thanks everyone!

Scott Occhiuto.