wiring harness blues or "Please Help Me!"

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: wiring harness blues or "Please Help Me!"
From: "C. Halsted" <chalsted@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 09:15:22 -0500
I'm hoping someone can help me out with this one. working on a 68 2000. had
melted wires in dash harness. replaced that harness with a good "late
production" harness. this necessitated changing out the B switch on console,
the turnsignal assembly, and there's a 2 wire plug as one of the 2 firewall
area plugs that goes to the rear harness that needs to connect to 3 wires
going  into the rear harness. colors of the 2 are faded yellow and faded red
it appears, then there is a green with white stripe left over coming up out
of the rear harness. isn't that a ground of some sort? what can I attach it
to? still not getting any headlights coming off headlight switch, although I
am getting running lights have checked the fuses and headlight bulbs, they
appear fine, don't seem to be getting any juice to the headlights. can't get
the test light to light up. now the strange part. since putting on the later
turnsignal assembly, a 9 pin instead of 6 pin plug that was on it before, if
I connect the starter harness the horn comes on. without the key on. if I
disconnect the turnsignal harness plug, no horn blowing obviously, but can
turn on the running lights and can start the car. if horns are disconnected
at the horns, and turnsignal harness hooked up, when I touch battery cable
to battery sounds like the headlight relay clicks. could I have the wires
crossed up on the relay somehow? what could be getting crossed up? could the
ignition switch itself be bad?

any input appreciated. been working on this under a big tarp draped over the
car and the trailer it's on for days now and it's driving me nuts. haven't
spent all that much time actually, weather really sucks, but I need to get
it done and the car delivered up to Seymour, Connecticut. I can swap a
harness out fine, but I'm really into territory where I'm pretty
undereducated. I think I'd rather swap out an engine than the dash harness
on a late roadster. would probably be easier if I had one that matched to
put back in. I still learn something every day it seems.

Thanks in advance,
Craig