Thanks, List!

To: "Datsun roadster list " <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thanks, List!
From: "J Sylvester" <jsylvester3136@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 16:55:39 -0500
Once again, saved by the list.

In my continuing saga to overcome my own ignorance and keep my 2L on the
road, I recently purchased 2 Z-Therapy manufactured carbs (outstanding!) and
put the car in the garage for an all-points tune-up.

With the help of a local roadster lover who has 30 years of experience, we
worked through the bugs, got the carbs on and adjusted, and had everything
ready to run.

NOT!  Owing to my own stupidity, I put the spark wires back on in 1-3-4-2
order clockwise off the distributor.  Of course, the car ran like s**t and
backfiring through the carbs something fierce.  What was wrong?  Had I
jumped a link in the timing chain?  What could it possibly be?!

With the aid of a few of the best (whose experience was misspent on the
simplicity of my error), a point-by-point diagnosis of my problem was
underway.

>From a list friend came some advice:  "You've got the spark wires running
counter clock wise off the distributor, right?"  "Uh..nope," I said, "I
don't.  I've got them running clock wise. "

After spending the better part of Saturday in the garage perplexed and
nearly defeated, 30 seconds in the garage this morning to rearrange the
spark wires was all I had to do to realize the full benefit of the new
carbs.  After spending 10 more minutes dialing in the timing..perfection.
An idle at 700 rpm like a kitten's purr.  And runs like a scalded dog.

Thanks, list.  And thanks to you especially (unnamed here) for your generous
assistance.

p.s..Is it a common thing for cars' distributors to turn counter clockwise??