Running with other makes at the Rim of the world

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Running with other makes at the Rim of the world
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex675@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 09:04:58 -0700
Hello Listers,

We have been enjoying some cool weather here in Socal. In the 70s with some
nice ocean breezes, so I thought I would take the roadster out to one of the
best runs on the planet: The Rim of the World.

It's not a made up name- The Rim of the World road winds it way through the
San Bernardino Mountains to the East of Los Angeles. It's very beautiful,
panoramic, and twisty! I went on a whim, but managed to meet up with a
Triumph group with everything from TR3s to TR6s, a mini cooper group, and
even a Morris Minor.

As usual, there was a lot interest in the Datsun as some of them were
unaware they existed. I also got to check out some of their cars as well and
we traded stories and had a great time. We then got in our cars and had a
great run through the mountains. Just to hold up the Datsun end I got into
it with a TR6 and pretty much chased him ( and passed him) through the
hills. When we stopped for lunch, he came over to ask what I had under the
hood and I proudly showd him my solexed U20. He liked it very much and asked
to go for a ride so I took him down the road a piece and took the car up to
6000 RPM in 3rd gear. We were both smiling as we came back to the lunch
spot.

After lunch we took off down the mountain and went our separate ways. It was
great fun and I hope that I see them again on some future run. I guess it
doesn't matter what kind of sports car you drive as long as you do.

Andrew Murphy
1967.5 2000 SRL311-00489