2004 All Datsun Meet Pics/Write-up

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 2004 All Datsun Meet Pics/Write-up
From: Alvin Gogineni <gogineni.alvin@GENE.COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:27:44 -0700
Where do I begin? I want to include every last detail and moment.
I had a blast. A complete dream. The sights. The sounds. The
weather...and most of the all the people. The All-Datsun show at
Mt. Shasta was awesome. I'll break it down by events to Thunderhill,
Gymkhana/Autocross, and Show'n'Shine.

THUNDERHILL:
Track Day at Thunderhill in Willows, Ca was on Thursday 15. I was
supposed to be there at 8am to make the mandatory driver's meeting
and instruction. I packed and got ready Wed. night, but I was up
until 2:30am! I thought it would be easy to wake-up at 4am since we
did it last weekend for the roadster meet. Fell asleep, missed my
alarm and woke up at 8:30am. Noooo! Drove 75mph-80 not even
worried about the roadster and arrived in Willows at 11:30am.
Pulled into the registration booth and at the same time fire
trucks were being deployed out onto the track(more on that
later!). I was so lost and afraid that I wouldn't be aloud to run
the track w/o instruction, but Dan Gallmeister saved me and
directed me to their pit area. Just seeing Donna and Rob put me at
ease. I also met Paul, Scott, Ben and Jason, a fabulous group of
Datsun nuts that I spent some quality time with!
Meanwhile groups B and C are on the track and I'm starting to get
really scared about driving out there. I talk to Albert, another
first timer(240z owner) who says I missed the first 2 sessions,
but there's nothing to worry about. This helps my anxiety a bit,
but I end up walking around aimlessly to kill time. It's hot as balls
out there too.
I run into Michael Spreadbury and Jason and Dave show up with their
roadsters...I'm not alone now! We chat and take some awesome
pictures of our rides, but I find out they're not running the track
so I'm back to being freaked out. Out in the pits I see a black
primered 240sx with a rear bumper that looks melted from the
exhaust. This was Dave Colemans' (of SPortCompactCar mag) car that
caught on fire from a popped intercooler pipe, hence the fire
trucks when I first arrived. He miraculously patched it up by
the end of the show'n'shine!
Rob has worked his magic and got me tech'd and ready to roll on
the track. I was in the A group. It was actually going to happen!
I am supposed to be amped but I'm frantic. It's hot out, and the
combination of heat, adrenaline, and nervousness are taking its
toll. I'm not even on the track yet! I'm so glad Rob was with me.
Rob has this sort of calm, re-assuring voice. He calms me down before we
don our helmets.
It's very awkward feeling for me with the helmet on(plus it says "510"
on it!).
Now I get the wave to move onto the track. I've never been on the track
before or done
my homework about the turns, but Rob is there by my side. Besides,
how hard can this be? Rob tells me he wants nothing but smooth
steering wheel/throttle input. Everything feels so different on
the track. On turn 2 he's actually putting his hand down on my knee
to floor it. I didn't understand at the time. He guides me through the
first 7 turns. "connect the dots" he said referring to the apexes
and their cone markers. I'm coming up on turn 8 and there is
wall of cones in front of me. I instinctively think "Ok this means
I turn left" and I end up turning off the course and into a
alternate course. Had to make u-turn and I saw the other cars
passing by. It was a "chicane" the cones were setup for. I felt
like a total idiot. We got back on the course and now I'm coming
up on turn 11, waaaay too hot! Almost understeer off the track b/c
I didn't brake in time. Make through 13, 14, 15 and Rob decides to
take the wheel. He drives the roadster so fluidly and fast at the
same time. He tells me too always looks ahead, see the apex and
where to be on the track to setup for the next turn. And to use
"all of the track". I take a few more laps and now I'm starting to
feel more comfortable with the car and the track. It's starting to
be fun negotiating the turns! Checker flag and it's back to the
pits. Whew! I totally underestimated road racing. I have so much
respect for Rob, all racers in general. Steve Allen how'd you do
it in your roadster? I'm exhausted after a only a few laps. It's a
workout for my body and my mind! Waiting for the next session I
start envisioning what I needed to improve on. I was really amped
to get back on! Rob's advice really helped me out. He gave me tip I
never thought about: always leave the e-brake off after the race, or
else the pads/rotors will glaze! What's even
better is that he took me out in a Miata to show me some
lines. Even though that car was way slower than my roadster Rob
drove it fast in the turns.

I decided to go alone the next session. This session was my
favorite because I had enough time to get into a "zone". It was
freakin' unbelievable!!!!!!! I was now not worried about the
track, other drivers or even being passed. I was enjoying the
roadster! Both hands on the wheel except for shifting.
Braking/shifting BEFORE the turn! Coming out of turns 12, 13 onto
the straight was my favorite part of the track. The 3-4 shift just
put this mile-wide smile on my face behind my helmet, it was
heavenly. I kept getting stuck behind a blue 510 that would
motion for me to pass on the front straight, but would cut me off
before the chicane. Pissed me off initially but I got over it
feeling those burms on apexes. I could go on and on about the
different turns. The rush as I pulled out of turn 7 was nuts! Turn
14/15 is a double apex and I had trouble hitting 14s apex without
going too slow. Slowing down enough for turn 11 also took time to
master, but it was all fun. I sort of evolved in this session
which was validated by driving with an instructor for the A,B,C
open session at the end of the day. Entered the pits and got out
of the roadster. I nearly fainted. It's tough driving out there.
Re-hydrated and relaxed for a bit.

I was about to ride solo for the open session when an instructor
asked if I needed him. I hesitated and he said he'd never been in
a roadster before. I figured he could only help me out! This
session was long, over 40 minutes. He helped me nail the 14-15
double apex onto the front straight and also carry more speed
through the blind hill on through turns 4/5. I learned how to give
way to faster drivers( I think I ruined some lines for a few Z
folks though!) Saw Ben and Paul pass me up, and the most surprising was
a race-prepped Datsun roadster. I saw him in my
rear-view. White with dark red lettering. He passed me on 8 like I
was standing still! Was it Tom Phelan?? If so why didn't they say
hi in the pits and where'd they go?? No love for the non-racers
like me I guess. Anyways, me being so close to steering wheel and
the non-supportive seats aren't agreeing with me. I was completely spent
on
the lap right before the checkered flag, so we pit and I ended
probably the greatest driving day of my life. My instructor said I
was the best student of the day, expecting me to be jerky at the
wheel(thanks Rob!) Then he said, "this things got some grunt!"
Boo-yeah.
The best $120 I've ever spent. A wonderful learning
experience. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again, I'm hooked.
The roadster performed beautifully with one exception: brakes.
I'll try new pads, but I think ultimately vented rotors and
upgraded calipers will be the way to go. Dave and Jason's
roadsters are equipped with trick Nissan Z32 Calipers/Coleman
rotors so that's also an option. Seat belts and better seats are
also on my mind. But that engine is phenomenal. I wish I had a
in-car camera for y'all.
Unfortunately I have no pics of me on the track. BUT, Keith(same
guy that made the 510 stickers for show entrants) took some sweet
shots of the roadster on the track!!! They'll be here by Friday,
so I'll update you then.

The Drive Fom Willows to Shasta:
The whole gang ate at Denny's and gassed up before rolling 7 deep
to Shasta. I remember at the gas station that my arms started severely
cramping up at the forearm and bicep. My fingers were starting to cramp
as well. I had to drive with one hand for some distance, but man I was
fatigued from track day. It was an exhilarating caravan up with 3 350z
cars, 1 240z, 1 roadster, 1 510 and 1 Z32 TT.
Let me tell you about the cars.
Ben had a black 350z with lowered springs and aftermarket wheels,
Nismo exhaust(sounds bad-ass), Jason had a silver 350z with a CF
lip and CF vented hood, Nismo exhaust with straight pipes,
gorgeous 19" Volk Te-37 wheels, Rob with his Go Green SR20DET
510(the fastest car I'v ever been in), Donna had a blue 350z with
a Vortech Supercharge,r full TEIN suspension, Paul had the coolest
240Z on the planet with a stroker motor, Porsche 911 Turbo brakes all
around and some nice recaros, Scott had a mean Z32 twin turbo
with very tight 18" R34 Skyline wheels, custom exhaust and big
brakes, then there was yours truly with the black SR 67.5! This
was the "crew". I wished Dan was was with us too, but he left for
Shasta earlier.

The ride up to Shasta was going smooth until Rob decided to show
off and race me. After the resulting beatdown I served him I let
him pass me up and he suffered a burst coolant hose. Just kidding! But
the hose part was true. We all pulled off 5 (exit 562) to help Rob. I
remember it looked like we were in the middle of nowhere, but I felt
like I was in good company. Then these 2 teenage girls came out of
nowhere walked by us and onto the the overpass. Perhaps they were
mountain girls. It was weird. Anyway Rob pulls a McGyver and uses some
pcv heater hose to patch things up and we were off again.
We got to Shasta around 11pm. Now I'm not sure if drank that night but I
do know at the end of each day we would all gather in a hotel room and
watch in-car videos from Paul/Scott and drink some beer(or Margaritas?),
those were some good times for sure.

Gymkhana, Left Coast and Frolf:
Friday, July16 was the gymkhana and left coast followed by dinner
awards/raffle.
I promised myself that I wouldn't do the gymkhana because my body was
still aching and I also didn't want to beat on my beautiful roadster:) I
settled for watching others run the course. It was fun! The turbocharged
cars didn't too so hot because they would always make bursts of insane
power at the worst moment and either oversteer or spinout completely!
The big Z cars(Z33/32) had trouble around the tight course but Rob and
Scott surprised many with some good times. Just seeing how fast drivers
had to steer scared me. Rob eventually convinced me to do it, but I
would be batter and he would drive. I trust Rob, afterall, he knows what
he's doing right? Our first run was not too bad. I didn't miss 1 ball.
Second run was going ok until Rob got disoriented and missed a turn. The
cone worker motioned left but by the time Rob responded the roadster
just plowed straight into the pylons and whiffle ball hanger! It was
kind scary, but nothing damaged the roadster. Everyone laughed. Rob's
snafu became a constant joke throughout the weekend. They even put a
picture of the crash on the slideshow while Rob was Mc'ing the raffle.
It kept looping so I was embarrassed like 5 times. Our last run was the
fastest, 22.481, but I missed the last cone, so+1. Gymkhana is
definitely a must do. Left coast was up next. I skipped out on this and
hooked up with Jason, Jen, Charlie and Dave for a game of frisbee-golf
up the mountain. We took the ski lift up and played all the way down the
mountain, took like 2+hrs and completely kicked my ass. Jason and Dave
were proficient at throwing the discs, which were not like a regular
Frisbee as I assumed. I was so dirty at the end. I have a clip of Jason;
incredible throw, look closely and you'll see the disc flying through
the ravine!
I missed the awards/raffle that night but I do beleive I got drunk with
the crew at the treehouse. Was that the night with the lady that made
some excellent Margaritas? I remember Rob was eating peanuts like
parakeet and The Taco Bell was GOOD! Then Scott wouldn't let me drive to
my hotel so Ben gave me ride. We were so ripped. Then there was a cop
right outside my hotel so Ben was afraid to drive back out so he chilled
with me for a few minutes. After the coast was clear Ben split.
I fell asleep with the room spinning and that guitar riff from Sunshine
of your Love in my head. trippy.

Autocross 1 and Show 'N' Shine:
Saturday, July 17 was the Show 'n'Shine and Autocross 1. I can't beleive
I woke up at 6:00am. I had to run to the Tree house Inn to get my
roadster and meet up with the crew to wash our cars. The show was
incredible. Autowrecker Dave saved me by lending me a towel to get the
haze out of my paint. Donna hooked me up with a baddass build sheet for
my roadster, it was so cool. I'm keeping that in my photo album! The
highlight for me was the sight of 5 roadsters lined up in a sea of 510s
and z's. 4 SR20 powered roadsters and 1 stocker. All of them were very
well received. I finally got to meet Dave Kaplan and see his burly '68
SR20DET roadster. Man I thought my clutch was stiff, his was a monster.
And if you haven't seen Jason's SIlver SR20 it is just sweet. He's got a
trick rear package shelf mount battery, so trunk space isn't
compromised. He also has the best looking stance on a roadster with 16"
Panasports and a lowered front end.
SR20DET powered 510s were plentiful. Vg-30 dimes too. Anthony had his
scary supra powered 510 wagon there with 285mm wide 18" tires and ZG
fender flares. Mario had a 6-speed S15 SR20DET 510 with Brembo brakes a
host of go-fast goodies. He's a very friendly guy with a lot of talent.
We were talking about roadsters and he's going to have a very wild one
at the next meet!

I chickened out hardcore with the autocross. I just didn't see myself
turning the wheel that fast through those tight corners. Whatever
happened to "smooth input"?! Plus the fact that everyone is watching you
and the announcer is giving the play-by-play wasn't too appealing. Again
the big cars had trouble with tighter turns. Most cars had to downshift
into 1st gear for the loop.Ted hedman had the fastest time in his class
with the S15 SR20 510.
It was so much fun watching everyone run the autocross, especially the
crew. I believe times were in the low 40sec and 1 person got 39secs for
Autocross 1. Towards the nd of the day, Michael, Rob, Dave, Dave Kaplan
and Jason drove or got a ride in each others roadsters. That's when I
got the video clip of DAve oversteering through a corner. Scott came up
to me with a little girl that wanted to ride in a roadster but was too
afraid to ask so I gave her a ride. Her name was Goober. Or was it Fred?
She was funny.
The dinner was followed by the awards ceremony. It seemed to last
forever! Rob did a fantastic job with the raffle and Michael Spreadbury
even had a part i.d. quiz contest. The crew cleaned up on awards. Jason
and I got 1st and 2nd place for roadsters.
After this we lined the crew cars up for a pic, but it was getting dark.
Check out the sunset pic it worked out well.
I believe we went back to the hotel for some autocross/in-car action and
there was some beer, but I don't remember details. I did wake up with
some peanut shells in my shirt though. good times.

Sunday was Autocross2 and the group picture.
On the way up I took nice pic of the roadster with Mt. Shasta in the
back. The entire place is beautiful and if we weren't driving like crazy
all the time I would be able to take it all in!
The line for the group photo took eons. They pack 'em in tight! Peggy
took the group shot from atop a motorhome. Scott Smith did everyone a
favor and took pics for everyone with their own digital cameras. Thanks
Scott!
Autocross 2
I promised Rob that I would autocross the roadster today, despite my
extreme case of butterflies. Drivers were divided into 2 groups, 4 laps
for each driver. I was in the 2nd group so we had to work the cones
while group1 drove the course. Corner duty is freakin sweet! Watching
drivers try beat other' times is intense. Morgan in the raceZ went balls
out on the course and I think he got a 39sec. He was unbeatable until a
gentleman with a black 240z(chevy powered) turned 37sec time!! Paul
smith, Rob, Scott and Donna also had their way with the course. Now it
was group 2 turn to run. I thought by walking the course it would help
but it's completely different from behind the wheel. I was totally
stressing about the launch and how to handle the 2-1 downshift. I'm in
the grid with my helmet on and all of the sudden it starts to rain!! In
the midst of 85 degree tanning weather there were intermittent showers.
The track would get wet and then dry in minutes. Paul was the green
flagger. He said take it slow. Timer starts and I get on it, but I'm not
going forward...the tires are just spinning! Let off and finally hookup.
I feel like I'm driving so jerky. it's hard with the rain and my hands
slip on the wooden wheel(Need that MOMO still:0) The last turn back up
the finish is tough because you are off camber and accelerating in 2nd
gear. With each lap I finessed this turn and it felt cool!!!!! Just
flooring it and sawing at wheel to keep it semi-sideways! I had a blast.
Total adrenaline rush and I didn't do as bad as I thought I would.
Didn't hit a single cone, unlike Rob:)
My lap times:
48.580
44.422
43.597
43.511
A guy in a green 510 got a 40sec, an he was super smooth, Jay I think.
Peggy gave out the awards at the end of Autocross2. I got fastest
roaster(by default) and we all helped de-cone the course. That was the
end of the meet! Caravanned home and put about 1400 miles in 2 weeks
with the SR20, oh it's so beautiful.

I'm definitely going to the All-Datsun Meet next year and I urge all
roadster owners to attend!! You will not regret it. Okay check out the
pics here:
http://community.webshots.com/user/alving06
and video clips here:
http://rabbit.circa.ufl.edu/gallery/alvin