Re: Wheels and lug nuts?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheels and lug nuts?
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 21:02:05 -0400
Mike Harper is on the money on this one.  The Z car factory wheels used a
larger diameter shank than a standard mag wheel.  If I recall, a standard
mag is .6 and the Z is .73 in diameter.  That does not sound like much, but
it is enough to let the wheel wiggle and that is bad.  As someone else
posted, the Z lugs are metric while the Roadster is 7/16 standard.  Great if
you can use standard lugs, but the goofy fat shank ones are tough to find.
Wheel Components has them - the list found out after Mike Harper had some
cool sleeves machined to take up that slop on his.  (sorry Mike - I still
think that we had a good idea - just didn't know that the correct item was
out there all along)

The reason that I am rehashing all of that tripe is that a lot of folks may
have forgotten or may not have been on the list when that all was discussed
and discovered.

Oh, on the Wheelcomponents.com items, someone reported that the chrome was
not as durable as it could be, but that has been my experience with ALL mag
lug nuts...  Sigh...

Sidney Raper
1964 1500 (still a project.... sigh....)
1967 SRL311 00076 (alive again!)
Jacksonville Florida
http://www.geocities.com/roadsternut/index.html