Georgian Drivers - Quote of the Year

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Georgian Drivers - Quote of the Year
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:27:28 -0400
This must be the quote of the year regarding driving. I started laughing in
the train when I read it and some people gave me an upturned eyebrow. It was
in the NY Times.

Enjoy.

Mike

"Georgian driving rules might be recorded like this: Always be first. Always
regard a two-lane highway as a three-lane highway, keeping in mind that the
middle lane, an imaginary space squarely astride the other two, is a lane
solely dedicated to you. Go as fast as you can, except when roads are wet.
Then go faster. Since giving up the middle lane risks disgrace, Georgians
cede it like a toreador, only at the last possible instant, with a rightward
sweep of the wheel and a long, tire-hissing whoosh.

Moreover, roads in Georgia are frequent habitat for livestock - cows,
chickens, columns of geese and barrel-size pigs - which wander the asphalt
with a surety of right-of-way. At reasonable speeds, domestic animals can be
scenic. They are less so when multiple cars are dodging them simultaneously
at 90 miles per hour, the default speed for Georgian journeying. In a recent
week crisscrossing the country, the fatalities witnessed from a 20-year-old
station wagon were two white-haired men and a woman, as well as a piglet and
a goose.

BTW, that's Georgia as in the USSR, not the USA