Wet and wild....

To: datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wet and wild....
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:11:58 -0400
I know that some folks are wondering if Florida is a soggy wasteland of
twisted trailer parks and ravaged palm trees, so I figure I should check in.
  We did not get hit by the direct strike of the storms here in Jacksonville
(Thankfully!), but we did get some pretty nasty winds and rain.  The rivers
and creeks here are swollen and several have flooded.  The wind did quite a
bit of damage as well.  When hurricane Frances came through, we lost power
for 4 days.  Some folks were out more than a week.  Since we are on a well
and septic system, it was fun - no power means no pumps which means no
working plumming!!  A neighbor with an artesian well came to the rescue and
we could flus the toilet.  Of course, the water table is so high that the
drain field is flooded, so things drained rather slowly.  (sorry if that is
TMI for you.)

The hurricane debris was not all cleaned up before Jeanne came by for a
visit, so that added to the mess.  A neighbor had a large hickory tree
(maybe 50 feet tall or more) that was partially dead and diseased.  It is
now leaning rather precariously against a water oak in my back yard - aiming
at my house.  I spent yesterday afternoon sawing up the limbs and such that
fell off of it when it tipped.  Get to move it today.  We have lost lots of
rather large branches off of our old trees.  I am concerned about the 150
year old tree in the front yard.  Still, it could have been worse.  We did
not lose power with Jeanne's passing, so that was good.  There are currently
a couple of hurricanes milling about the Atlantic, so we are far from out of
the woods on this deal.

The 67 is safely buried in the garage.  The 64 is in there as well.  They
survived with no known problems.  There is the frame from a 68 out in the
driveway - it will be sitting a while as I have a lot of crap to clean up
around here.  I still have way too much crap in the garage, so things are
VERY tight out there.  I don't think that I will be digging the cars out too
soon - the hurricane season still has two months to go.  So, I will get to
be inside a bit for a while.  If you feel the need, you are welcome to make
donations of Roadsters or parts.  ;-)