SR20 Dyno Results/Roadster Weight!

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: SR20 Dyno Results/Roadster Weight!
From: Alvin Gogineni <gogineni.alvin@GENE.COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:21:49 -0700
http://community.webshots.com/user/alving08

I weighed the roadster tonight for the second time(actually in 3 years).

Only this time the SR20 was in place of the U20.

Before the swap the roadster weighed 2120lbs alone(full tank, spare tire and

rollbar), now it weighs 2040lbs!!!!!!! That means 80lbs was shaved just from

the engine swap alone. For kicks I sat inside while Clark snapped a pic,

it's 2200lbs with me in it.

The scale is very accurate, as I weigh 158lbs. Some of you may know of its

whereabouts, the truck scale off DeLaCruz/Roberts near the San Jose Int.

Airport. Good times.

I also took the car to Apex Motorsports to get it dyno'd. They specialize in

Mustangs/Ford V8s, big hp engines. It was funny because they never saw 2
people

get so excited about 130hp :)

So the final dyno results were

134.5hp/6500rpm

127.45lb-ft/4800rpm

Figure in 15-25% drivetrain loss(I'll use 15%) and that equates to roughly

155hp and 145lb-ft torque!

Very close to the factory hp claims. I was really impressed with the torque,

it shows that the S14's VTC is doing it's job, and validates it's operation!

To put this in perspective, the stock SR20DET should make 50-70 more wheel

HP/torque! That's insane in a light car like the roadster/510.

For the disbeleivers/pro-U20 crowd go here:

http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/datsundyno.htm

Although there isn't a U20 dyno sheet,  there are plenty of hopped up

L20b/L22 engines with Mikunis and TWM/EFI.

They still don't produce SR/KA hp/torque numbers!

Technology is amazing.

Another benefit of the dyno was that it allowed us to dial in the new

speedometer. It's right on the money!

So, I am a happy camper with the SR20, but I have much respect for the

KA24DE  because that motor puts out significantly more torque!

Ken(DATSTER) and I will settle the score soon :)

http://community.webshots.com/user/alving08

Alvin Gogineni

San Jose, CA

67.5 SPL/SR20