U20 Tuning without a dyno?

To: datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: U20 Tuning without a dyno?
From: Jim Williams <jamesd_williams@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:09:57 -0700 (PDT)
I have been reading about the Rocky Mountain group who
got access to a Dyno to tune their U20 cars... I now I
have a case of "Dyno envy".

My question to the list is " how do those of us
without a dyno, tune our cars for best performance?

I have my 68 running very good, and it is set up by
the "book" as far as timing and SU tuning...header,
smog removed, etc.

What steps did you all take to get that extra 5 HP,
and can we do it without a Dyno?

What plug gap gave the best performance for the
electronic ignition? What needles? What timing advance
did you find best? What differences caused one car to
run 100HP and  others to run 117HP.
Were there mechanical differences such as an
electronic fan instead of the belt driven fan?

I know that the Rocky Mountain group  dyno'ed at 5000
plus feet and that other elevations, fuels, etc. will
require different settings, but I need some tips on
where I should start.  Let's hear from the experts on
the list where they actually run their timing... and
how they tune their carbs for most power...

Jim Williams
68 2000 Scottsdale, AZ