RE: Cracked firewall and brakes

To: "'Pete Peters'" <ppeters914@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Cracked firewall and brakes
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:48:16 +0930
I have seen this mentioned several times. Does this issue apply to just
early cars, late cars, or both? Is it fairly obvious?

***
My '65 SP310 is a virtual jigsaw of cracks and holes around both the clutch
and brake M/Cs.
For flexing, get some help to operate the pedals whilst you watch the
firewall.
You may see a few areas that require bracing:(
If you look to left of the clutch M/C hole there is a crack down to the
factory brace
Bordered in marking pen.
The PO had POP RIVETTTED a sheet over this area in an effort to strenghten
it.
No, sorry, WRONG!
I will try a plate with 90 deg returns on the edges to bolster the firewall,
but it is still in the design stage.
In Australia, it is referred to the "dicking about" stage hehehehe.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310
1971 P510